Berau
Community ID
 
2453
 
Town
 
Waldshut
 
Diocese
 
Constance
 
Modern Location
 
In the southern part of the Black Forest.
 
Dedication
 
S. Nicolas
 
Date Founded
 
1100-1199 (12th century)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This community of religious noble women has existed since the twelfth century. It developed into a Benedictine convent. For a brief period it was part of the Benedictine monastery of S. Blasien.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The University Library in Freiburg preserves an eleventh century Missale from the convent, #483, 23; a fragment beginning with the words, Lect. off., from the eleventh century, #483, 26, 6; a fragement of a text from Bede, eleventh century, #483, 26, 9; and a fragment of a homily by Walahfr. Strabo, eleventh century, #483, 26, 10. A psalter and cantica from 1279 are owned privately.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Manuscripts Produced
 

A missale, a psalter, and three fragmentary texts are all that remain of the convent's literary holdings (see manuscript sources).

 
Admin. Notes
 

More research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1100
 
Length
 
724