Bedburg
Community ID
 
2448
 
Town
 
Bedburg
 
Diocese
 
Cologne
 
Dedication
 
S. John the Baptist
 
Date Founded
 
1201 or earlier (see "foundation information," below)
 
Date Terminated
 
1804
 
Religious Order
 
Premonstratensian
 
Rule
 
Rule of S. Augustine
 
Foundation Information
 

This Premonstratensian monastery was founded in 1124 for monks. A reference of 1138 refers only to male inhabitants. By 1201 the community had become a double house and reference is made to both fratres et sorores, brothers and sisters. Since 1227, however, the community was exclusively female. In 1519 the community ceased to adhere to the Premonstratensian order and became instead a chapter of canonesses. Final dissolution of the community occured in 1804.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The Haag preserves a copy of the monastery's statutes, Kgl. B, 128, G 21.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters, vol. 1, p. 78.
SCHOLTEN, Robert. Das Praemonstratenserinnen-Kloster Bedburg, Cleve, 1902.

 
Manuscripts Produced
 

Only one work from the community remains, a copy of their Statues, written in 1445 by Simon Bermen, preserved in the Haag.

 
Admin. Notes
 

More research necessary

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1201
 
Date Finished
 
1804
 
Length
 
773