Armathwaite
Community ID
 
881
 
Alternate Names
 
Ermithwaite / Armethwat / Ermithwait / Nunclos / Ermynthwait / Hermythwayt / Armythwayt
 
Town
 
Carlisle
 
Diocese
 
Carlisle
 
Region
 
Cumberland
 
Modern Location
 
Ainstable (needs verification)
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary and Jesus Christ
 
Date Founded
 
1200 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1537
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Thompson speculates that it may have an anchoretic origin (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 218). A patently forged charter claimed that the founder of the house was William II (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 29). Dugdale accepts William Rufus as the founder (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 3, 270).

 
Notable Heads
 

NULL
NULL
NULL
The last three prioress were, successively, Isabella Otteley, Annes Elvington, and Anna Dartwenwaiter.

 
Population Counts
 

In 1537 the house contained the prioress and 3 nuns.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Edward III remitted the 10 l. of rent due because the nuns had suffered losses in the battle with Scotland. Edward IV wrote a charter in favor of the nuns because the Scots had raided the priory in 1473.

 
Income
 

In 1535 the net income was valued at over 18 pounds.

 
Early Documents
 

The earliest mention of the nunnery occurs in the Mappa Mundi of Gervase of Canterbury, which dates from circa 1201.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

A pillar was found that had the word sanctuarium and the date 1088 cut into it (Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 3, 270).

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Dugdale's Monasticon Volume 3, 271-272. Dugdale printed the three Latin charters of Armathwaite following his entry on the community.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

A charter establishing the foundation date as 1089 is probably forged.

 
Admin. Notes
 

The property of Armathwaite was granted to William Grayme at the time of dissolution. It became known as the Nunnery.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1537
 
Length
 
949