Arden
Community ID
 
876
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Andrew at Arden; Erdern
 
Town
 
Chester
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire, Cheshire
 
Modern Location
 
S. Andrew at Arden
 
Date Founded
 
1150
 
Foundation Information
 

Traditonally thought to be founded by Randulf II, called DeGernons, Earl of Chester, d.1153. The first nuns considered Hugh, the son of Oliver from Chester to be the founder. Further research is necessary to verify the founder..

 
Notable Heads
 

Stockport, Haye, Pierrepont, Dutton, Alderslegh, Vernon, Chester, Mottershead, Dutton, Doncaster, Crewe, Leyot, Rixton, Pasmyche, Tayllour, Grosvenor

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

The community counted among its members Matilda di Roges, daughter of Robert, a benefactor in the 12th century and Gunnora, mother of Richard the Butler, who was also a 12th century benefactor. Beatrice & Juette, daughters of Richard of Alured, were members of the community in the 12th century as well. The prior of the hospital at S. Andrew, Denhall was in residence in 1267.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 12 in 1273; 13 in 1381; 8 or more in 1473; 12-14 after 1496.

 
Dependency Of
 

The community is a dependency of Clerkenwell in Middlesex during the period following 1176, but before 1200. In 1186 Pope Urban III confers property on the community.

 
Visitations
 

Visitations concerned with maladministration and election problems take place in 1331 and in 1456 and again in the years 1519, 1521, and 1524. There was litigation with R. Grosvenor in the 13th century.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The founder, de Gernons and his son Hugh II, were from very high nobility and his vassel. His son Randulf III and Hugh of Wells, the Bishop Lincolnshire, by testament. Other benefactors were: the Black Prince, King Henry III and King Richard II, as well as John Noble and his wife Eve Doubled. Women benefactors were Eddussa in the 13th century, the mother of the nun Agatha. Cecily Crompton n.d., and Margaret Hawarden in 1521.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

The town objects to tax and toll privileges conferred by the Black Prince on the lay residents and tenants between 1354-58.

 
Social Characteristics
 

N , province / M , town

 
Assets/Property
 

Assets were land holdings including urban property both in the town of Chester and elsewhere, a chapter house, a salt pit and the rights to mill, wood, fish, and to hold jurisdiction. Donations ended before 1300 and from 1331 through the late 15th century the community lived in poverty probably due to chronic maladministration. There was a new church before 1373 and the community purchased another in the late 15th century.

 
Income
 

The community collected rents and tithes in Wales, Chester, and Lincolnshire. It collected royal alms and a subsidy from the Earl of Chester until after 1237.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Popular for alms (tenth year income) and donations made to the town on Maunday Thursday.

 
Litigations
 

The town objects to tax and toll privileges conferred by the Black Prince on the lay residents and tenants between 1354-58.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

There are three known seals associated with the community: in the twelfth century the Blessed Virgin Mary crowned and enthroned; after the 12th century three towers perhaps representing the west end of the church, and one used at the time of termination that pictures the prioress with the Blessed Virgin and Jesus Christ.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Remains include coffins, a door at Grosvernor Park, and a late 16th century plan of the community. In 1727 ruins viewed and in 1964 floor tiles dating from the 13th-14th centuries were excavated.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Admin. Notes
 

mad 7/31

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Contributors Notes
 

The community was a popular spot for burials. It had disputes with monks and cannons in the twelfth century and it suffered from maladministration from the 13th to the 15th centuries. It held a processional in the fifteenth century.

 
Date Started
 
1150
 
Length
 
1875