Wienhausen, western range (south facade)
ID
 
338
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, western range (south facade)
 
Subject
 

A view of the medieval structure forming the west wing of the convent complex. Work was begun on this portion of the convent in 1308. This wing comprises a long building with three floors. The gabled facade, facing south, provided the model for the gabled facade on the nuns' choir, built approximately twenty years later. See Wienhausen, exterior view of nuns' choir The front of the building (facing west) is decorated with a system of blind pointed arches and a small staircase tower. See Wienhausen, western range

 
Creation Date
 
1308-1330
 
Century
 
14th
 
Style Genre
 
Brick Gothic
 
Format Medium
 

brick

 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

This building is the earliest surviving portion of the medieval structure. The west wing was begun in 1308. A painting of the wing's dedication, located on the interior on the second floor, portrays Abbess Margareta and Provost Dietrich donating the newly-built wing to the Virgin and child. An image of the foundress, Agnes of Landsberg, stands to the right of the abbess and provost, offering the convent church to the Virgin.

 
Related Work
 

Nuns' choir with gabled facade; western range; Dedication mural of this wing; Wienhausen, exterior view of nuns' choirWienhausen, western rangeWienhausen, Dedication mural

 
Descriptive Notes
 

The interior of the buiding has been altered several times since its construction. Presumably the ground floor of this wing was used to house secular guests in the convent. The upper floor had a heated floor and served as the medieval winter refectory. An archive (armarium) stood on the second floor next to the refectory in the southern corner of the building. The top floor was used for the storage of grain.

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
June Mecham
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, western range (south facade).