Wienhausen, western range
ID
 
348
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, western range
 
Subject
 

A view of the western range of the monastic complex at Wienhausen. This building held the winter refectory on its second level and likely housed visitors to the community on its ground floor.

 
Creation Date
 
1308-1330
 
Century
 
14th
 
Style Genre
 
Gothic
 
Format Medium
 

brick

 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

The western range of the monastic complex at Wienhausen was begun in 1308 and completed circa 1330. The front of the building (facing west) is decorated with a system of blind pointed arches and a small staircase tower. This building has three levels. The ground floor likely housed secular visitors to the community. The second floor contained the nuns' winter refectory with its heated floor, as well as the armarium. The top floor was used for the storage of foodstuffs.

 
Related Work
 

Wienhausen, western range (south facade); Wienhausen, western range (south facade)

 
Descriptive Notes
 

This is the oldest surviving portion of the medieval convent apart from the All Saints chapel. A painting of the wing's dedication, located on the interior on the second floor, portrays Abbess Margareta and Provost Dietrich donating the newly-built wing to the Virgin and child. An image of the foundress, Agnes of Landsberg, stands to the right of the abbess and provost, offering the convent church to the Virgin.

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
June Mecham
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, western range.