Wienhausen, eastern range
ID
 
347
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, eastern range
 
Subject
 

A view of the eastern cloister wing at the convent of Wienhausen, reconstructed after 1530.

 
Creation Date
 
post 1530
 
Century
 
16th
 
Format Medium
 

brick and wood

 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

This eastern wing of the convent complex was rebuilt after 1530. The medieval structure was demolished by Ernst "the Confessor," Duke of Braunschweig-L√ľneburg, in a show of force intended to force the community's conversion to the Lutheran reform. The wing was rebuilt in the half brick, half timber construction typical of late medieval and early modern urban architecture in Germany.

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
June Mecham
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, eastern range.