Wienhausen, Crucifixion (stained glass) detail
ID
 
358
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony)
 
Sorting Title
 
Wienhausen, Crucifixion (stained glass) detail
 
Subject
 

The panel of Christ crucified from the All Saints' chapel in Wienhausen.

 
Creation Date
 
circa 1290
 
Century
 
13th
 
Work Type
 
series
 
Format Medium
 

stained glass

 
Original Location
 

Wienhausen

 
Historical Context
 

Four panels of stained glass fill two windows in the All Saints chapel in Wienhausen. This chapel is the earliest surviving portion of the convent and dates from the thirteenth century. These stained glass windows are likewise the oldest in Wienhausen, dating from the late thirtenth century. This chapel was used as a burial place for the abbesses of the community and other important personages. The use of green and red in the cloaks and halos of John and Mary help to unite the two figures. Green is also used for the cross of Christ, perhaps a reference to the cross as the tree of life (arbor vitae). The expressions of Christ, Mary, and John in the Crucifixion mirror each other in their formulaic sorrow, whereas an emphasis on the joy of the Resurrection seems indicated by the smile on Christ in the Resurrection panel. The entire theme of the chapel emphasized death and resurrection. The walls and vaulting of the small chapel were also painted with images of Christ enthroned and the nine angelic choirs, as well as the passion of Christ. A stained glass window depicting the archangel Michael appears in the north wall of the chapel. The south wall also once held a stained glass window, now lost; the subject of this window is unknown.

 
Current Repository
 

Wienhausen

 
Photo Credit
 
Praun Kunstverlag, Munich
 
Statement
 

Abbess Renate von Randow; Wolfgang Brandis

 
Image of Wienhausen, Crucifixion (stained glass) detail.