Gernrode, cloister
ID
 
301
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Sachsen-Anhalt (Saxony-Anhalt)
 
Sorting Title
 
Gernrode, cloister
 
Subject
 

A view of the south side of the church of Saint Cyriac at Gernrode; the towers of the Westwerk are visible on the right-hand side of the image.

 
Century
 
10th
 
Style Genre
 
Romanesque
 
Format Medium
 

stone

 
Original Location
 

Gernrode

 
Historical Context
 

The church of Saint Cyriac at Gernrode was presumably begun in 959. The western portion of the church, however, underwent changes in the mid-twelfth century. A larger square tower originally sat between the two round towers, which were originally smaller and served as towers for the staircases. Circa 1130, this tower was removed and the two side towers were built higher and given pointed roofs. Between the two towers is housed the two bells of the church.

 
Related Work
  
Current Repository
 

Gernrode

 
Photo Credit
 
June Mecham
 
Image of Gernrode, cloister.