Gernrode, church of S. Cyriac, Sepulcher (detail of the western wall)
ID
 
309
 
Original Country
 
Germany
 
Region
 
Sachsen-Anhalt (Saxony-Anhalt)
 
Sorting Title
 
Gernrode, church of S. Cyriac, Sepulcher (detail of the western wall)
 
Subject
 

A detail of the sepulcher at the church of S. Cyriac in Gernrode. A view of the western wall o the sepulcher.

 
Creation Date
 
1060-1080; 1130
 
Century
 
11th
 
Style Genre
 
Romanesque
 
Format Medium
 

stone

 
Original Location
 

Gernrode

 
Historical Context
 

The sepulcher, located in the southern nave of the church of Saint Cyriac at Gernrode, was created between 1060-1080 and completed at the latest by 1130. The west wall of the sepulcher contains the most sculptural decorations. The top contains a frieze with animals, vines, fruit, and leaves; in the middle stands a female figure between two pillars, perhaps the lamenting Mary as in John 20:11 "she stood outside before the grave, weeping." In the middle of the frieze is an image of the lamb of God with a nimbus and cross to each side are depicted Moses with the laws and John the Baptist. Many of the animals depicted are symbolic representations of Christ; a Pelican and Giffon, a Lion and Stag all appear. Below them are depicted: a bear, followed by a basilica, two birds next to the tree of life, a hare and a rooster, and finally a goose (?).

 
Related Work
  
Current Repository
 

Gernrode

 
Photo Credit
 
June Mecham
 
Image of Gernrode, church of S. Cyriac, Sepulcher (detail of the western wall).