Cell Eóin, exterior
ID
 
1150
 
Original Country
 
Ireland
 
Region
 
Clare
 
Community
  
Subject
 

General view of monastery and main church, showing east window, belfry and woman in foreground.

 
Creation Date
 
1225?
 
Century
 
13th
 
Style Genre
 
Romanesque with later additions
 
Original Location
 

Cell Eóin, also known as Abbey of Saint John, Ecclesia S. Johannis, Killane, Killiean, Killean

 
Original Structure
 

13th-century remains include Romanesque east windows and vaulted crypt under the chancel (around 1225.) Church was shortened in 15th century, present west wall built; north wall rebuilt, some domestic buildings added.

 
Patrons and Others
 

Founded about 1189 by Donal Mór Ua Briain, one of the most powerful men in Ireland at the time, or possibly by his son Donnchad Cairprech Ua Briain a few years later. Patronized by O Briens for centuries.

 
Related Work
  
Descriptive Notes
 

This photo taken by T. J. Westropp in 1898.

 
Current Repository
 

County Clare Library

 
Copyright
 
Clare Country Library
 
Photo Credit
 
T. J. Westropp
 
Photo Repo Number
 
WS_CL350002
 
Statement
 

By Permission of Clare County Library

 
Contributor
 
Lisa Bitel
 
Image of Cell Eóin, exterior.