Zimmern
Community ID
 
2326
 
Alternate Names
 
Klosterzimmer; Cimbrin (1252)
 
Town
 
Nördlingen
 
Diocese
 
Eichstätt ; presently, Augsburg
 
Medieval Location
 
in Stachelberg (Mittelfranken)
 
Modern Location
 
Nördlingen; governmental district of Schwabia; administrative district of Donau-Ries
 
Dedication
 
Holy Cross
 
Date Founded
 
1245-1252
 
Date Terminated
 
1525-1559
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This Cistercian convent was founded by Count Friedrich and Agnes of Truhendingen in Stachelberg, in the diocese of Eichstätt circa 1245. Bishop Friedrich of Eichstätt witnessed the foundation charter on August 14, 1245 which granted the convent freedom from advocacy. Egelolf of Lierheim may also be considered a co-founder of the community; he provided large gifts to the poorly-endowed convent (Krausen, 106). In 1249 pope Innocent IV confirmed the foundation, and in 1250 he took the convent into papal protection. In 1252 the convent was transferred to Zimmern, where Rudolf of Hürnheim-Rauhaus gave his property to the convent, with the pope's approval. After the convent moved to Zimmern it prospered.

 
Notable Heads
 

Among the abbesses of the convent was a daughtter of Duke Ludwig von Teck named Uta (c. 1358/73).

 
Population Counts
 

In 1334 the convent consisted of eighty sisters and fifteen lay-brothers (needs further verification).

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1249 pope Innocent IV confirmed the foundation, and in 1250 he took the convent into papal protection.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1263 the convent sent representatives to the lower Austrian convent of S. Bernhard near Horn.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Rudolf of Hürnheim-Rauhaus provided rich property for the convent in Zimmern.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

The Counts of Oettingen served as protectors of the community since the fourteenth century.

 
Social Characteristics
 

The nuns were drawn from the local nobility and wealthy patrician families.

 
Assets/Property
 

In addition to the rich lands that the convent held in Zimmern, it also held patronage rights in several parish churches in the surrounding area.

 
Litigations
 

In 1428 there was a dispute between the convent and the heirs of Rudolf of Hürnheim-Rauhaus, who claimed the rights of advocacy and protectorate.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The convent church consisted of a three-naved structure and later became a protestant parish church.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The convent church has become a Protestant parish church. The rest of the buildings are still extant.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Archives for the community are found in the Hauptstaatsarchiv in München (Munich) as well as in the Princely Oettingen-Wallerstein'sches Archiv in Wallerstein and the Princely Oettingen-Spielberg'sches Archiv in Oettingen.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Die Klöster des Zisterzienserordens in Bayern
HUEMER, B. Verzeichnis der deutschen Cisterzienserinnenkloester. (StMBO 37, 1916).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In the fourteenth century the convent experienced a flourishing mysticism under the spiritual direction of Heinrich of Nördlingen. In 1525 the convent accepted the Protestant Reformation, and the nuns laid aside their habits and appointed a lutheran preacher. During the Peasant Uprising the convent suffered from plundering and destruction. In 1549 the buildings were returned to the Cistercian order. The abbot of Kaisheim reasserted his rights as father abbot and appointed the nun Apollonia Kraft as abbess. In 1557 she died: the last catholic abbess of Zimmern. In 1559 the convent was secularized.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Kunstdenkmaeler Bayerns 248.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1245
 
Date Finished
 
1525
 
Length
 
2735