Yeddingham
Community ID
 
851
 
Alternate Names
 
Little Mareis, Yedingham, Yeadingham
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
East Riding
 
Modern Location
 
Yeddingham
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1148 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1537
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

According to Burton (1979), the community was founded by Helewise de Clere sometime before 1163 for 8-9 nuns and grew larger throughout the 13th and 14th centuries.

 
Population Counts
 

It was founded for 8-9 nuns, but probably increased to the usual 12 nuns under a prioress, and further in the 13th century. There were 10 at dissolution.

 
Visitations
 

There was a visitation sometime before 1312, in which archbishop Greenfield sent one Isabella de Berghby away for a season of penance on account of her "acting contrary to the honesty" of her religion. There was another visitation by archbishop Greenfield in 1314 and he issued a set of injunctions: no nuns were to absent from services, secular men and women were barred from entering the kitchen via the cloister, the cloister was to be shut at proper hours by an honest and mature nun, the parlor was not open to lay people, the prioress was to make sure that no nun wore conspicuous ornaments or girdles, rebellious nuns were to be corrected openly and fairly, and the sick were to be tended to properly.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Richard de Breuse, knight and his wife Alice-who renounced all right in choosing the prioress;

 
Relative Wealth
 

By 1456 the poverty of the house has caused the buildings to go unrepaired to the point of some of the buildings collapsing.

 
Assets/Property
 

Rented land from Guisborough.

 
Income
 

In 1291 the gross income of the priory was over 42 pounds. In 1535 the net income of the community was valued over 21 pounds.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

There is a twelfth century seal which depicts the Virgin crowned and standing, holding a fleur de lis and a book. All that remains of the legend are the following letters "E SBE M."

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1241 the church of Yeddingham was consecrated to the Blessed Virgin by Gilbert, Bishop of Whithern, at the request of Prioress Emma de Humbleton. All who were present at the consecration were granted an indulgence of 100 days. It is unclear whether this was the priory church or the parish church. In 1279 Achbishop Wickwane gave custody of the nuns to Robert de Brus of Pickering, in the hopes of improving their situation.

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

Lay-brothers were recorded here in 1314.

 
Admin. Notes
 

Population counts (10) ?- Can this be true what about the foundation # and statement it got larger?
[V0943]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1148
 
Date Finished
 
1537
 
Length
 
1108