Wothorpe
Community ID
 
899
 
Alternate Names
 
Wyrthorp, Wirthorp, Wrythorp, Wridthorp, Wridtorp, Wulsthorp, Worthorp, Wothorp
 
Town
 
Lincoln
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Northamptonshire
 
Medieval Location
 
Great Wothorpe on the hill
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1160 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1353-4
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

According to Elkins and Thompson the foundation date is 1160. The last surviving nun was incorporated by Stamford in 1353-54. According to S. Thompson, the priory may have been linked with the abbey of Bourne (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 230). In circa 1160 the abbot of Bourne granted the church of Wothorpe to the nuns there (Women Religious: The Founding of English Nunneries After the Norman Conquest, 155).

 
Population Counts
 

Only 1 nun survived the Black Death and in 1354 Wothorpe was merged in Stamford. Patent Roll 28 Edward III. pt. 1, m. 16.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1292 the bishop granted indulgences to penitents who contributed funds towards the repair of buildings at Wothorpe.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The Earls of Kent.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

After the dissolution of the monasteries the foundations holdings including the manor, rectory, and advowson of the vicarage, were granted to Richard Cecil. Nothing remains of the medieval structure.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

The community was not Augustinian (Bridges) as is sometimes stated.

 
Admin. Notes
 

BOSB= Benedictine
[V0942]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1160
 
Date Finished
 
1353
 
Length
 
944