Wilberfoss
Community ID
 
850
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Mary Wilberfoss, Wilberfosse
 
Town
 
York
 
Diocese
 
York
 
Region
 
Yorkshire
 
Medieval Location
 
East Riding
 
Modern Location
 
Wilberfoss
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1153 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1539
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Alan, son of Elias de Catton, and Jordan fitz Gilbert were the founders of the community.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 20 in 1310. At the time of suppression there were 12 nuns besides the prioress; but later, when the house was dissolved there were 11nuns including the prioress. Seven nuns were still on the pension list in 1553 (Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, 220).

 
Visitations
 

There was a visitation in 1308 by Archbishop Greenfield after which the bishop sent a decretum stating that the nuns should not gather for purposes of amusement in the hostilaria or other rooms, they should not wear red, tunics that were too long, inappropriate attire or secular clothes. At this time there were twenty nuns listed.

 
Assets/Property
 

Owned a hall in Wilberfoss, land inside Catton , and 7 bovates in Wilberfoss.

 
Income
 

It received income from the church of Wilberfoss and chapel of Newton. In 1535 the net income of the community was valued over 21 pounds.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] Confirms the foundation (1254)

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1312 Agnes de Lutton was punished for immorality and given penance by Archbishop Greenfield.

 
Admin. Notes
 

[V0934]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1153
 
Date Finished
 
1539
 
Length
 
840