Wöltingerode
Community ID
 
2430
 
Town
 
Goslar
 
Diocese
 
Hildesheim
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1188 (see "Foundation information," below)
 
Date Terminated
 
1807
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This convent was founded in 1174 for Benedictine monks. In 1188 the community was transformed into a female Cistercian convent. The Cistercian convent of Wöltingerode existed from 1188-1807. Nuns from the convent likely served as the first members for the later convents of Wienhausen and Isenhagen.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Most of the documents for this community are found in the archive in Wolfenbüttel. Documents from both the male and female communities exist, inclunding several Breviaries, Psalters, and Liber precum, as well as other miscellaneous documents. Archives in Halle, Berlin, and Trier also hold isolated documents from the community. See Handschriftenerbe des Deutschen Mittelalters

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1188
 
Date Finished
 
1807
 
Length
 
754