Unterzell
Community ID
 
2317
 
Town
 
Würzburg
 
Diocese
 
Würzburg
 
Medieval Location
 
Würzburg; on the banks of the Main river.
 
Modern Location
 
Würzburg ; in the governmental district of Unterfranken.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Maria (Mary); S. Caecilia
 
Date Founded
 
1200 (circa); 1130 according to Link
 
Date Terminated
 
1803
 
Religious Order
 
Premonstratensian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

The community was founded by Hermann of Lobdeburg, bishop of Würzburg. The convent stemmed from the Premonstratensian foundation of Zell, as the nuns were divided from the monks and settled in Oberzell and Unterzell respectively. The joint Premonstratensian foundation was located on the banks of the Main River. The women dwelled on the eastern side and the monks on the western side; they shared the church (Link, 621). The convent was separated according to sex circa 1141; however, a hundred years passed before the communities were completely separated. Finally the women were settled in Unterzell, and circa 1250 Bishop Hermann von Lobdeburg made Unterzell independent.

 
Notable Heads
 

Known heads of the community were: 1277 Mechthilde, followed by Irmentraud, Lutgardis, Felicitas Schrimpfin, Elisabeth Nethardin, Elisabeth II. Pfocherin, 1402 Agnes, countess of Werth, Magdalena, a noblewoman from Pfersdorf, 1456 Anna, countess of Wertheim, 1477 Agnes II of Wertheim, 1480 Agnes III of Vertheim (resigned 1487), Magdalena II of Zobel, 1488 Katharina, noblewoman of Fisterlohe (resigned freely in 1526), Katharina II, noblewoman from Rieden, 1526 Anna II Haberlorn, 1529 Magdalena III of Fronhofen (Link, 625).

 
Visitations
 

A visitation of the convent occurred in 1556, the result of which was the removal of the provost. It appears at this time that nuns had ceased to dwell in the community (Link, 622).

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The church was converted for secular use and the high altar and two side alters were transferred to Oberdürbach. In 1945 the entire site burned down.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The church exists in ruins. The cloister buildings were rebuilt into homes.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

The convent experienced difficulties in the sixteenth century. The female community was dissovled in 1562/1573-1606 by Bishop Julius Echter. The church was converted for secular use. The female community was later reestablished circa 1640 and finally dissolved in 1803.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary [1]BACKMUND. Chorherren, 202.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1803
 
Length
 
2011