Studley
Community ID
 
1039
 
Alternate Names
 
Studeley known as Stodely at termination.
 
Town
 
Oxford
 
Diocese
 
Lincoln
 
Region
 
Oxford
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally Studley at Bernwood at foundation date / Horton , 1195 AC
 
Modern Location
 
Horton
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1176 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1536-1540
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Although Bernard de St Valery endowed a community of nuns at Studley at Bernwood his son Thomas is traditionally considered the founder.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Similarly to Godstow, the community shows a sharp drop in the number of members.

 
Population Counts
 

There were 50 in about 1300; 9 in 1445; 10 in 1520. At the time of suppression there were 15 nuns and there were 7 nuns besides the prioress in 1539.

 
Visitations
 

There are letters and/or visitations from the Bishop of Lincoln in 1294, 1445, 1520, and 1530 objecting to guests at the house, to visiting town scholars and to matters relating to dress.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

In 1300 the community enjoyed patronage of the crown. Benefactors included Bernard and Thomas de Valery and William de Stratford in 1188. In the thirteenth century Count Robert of Dreux and Godfrey del Craucomb gave several manors. Henry del Anna and Edmund, Duke of Cornwall, were also known to be benefactors.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

Secular masters were requested by Prioress Clementia and began in 1292.

 
Assets/Property
 

The communities assets were derived mostly from land holding in Lincoln, urban property in Oxford, and a chapter house. Revenues never exceeded 100 pounds. The community lived in poverty in 1352, 1389, 1520. In 1520 it was in debt for over 84 pounds.

 
Income
 

The community collected tithes and rents from urban property. In 1535 the net income of the community was valued at over 82 pounds.

 
Litigations
 

Secular masters were requested by Prioress Clementia and began in 1292.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] The first document, dated 1176, records a donation of land holding by Bernard de St Valery.

[2]The second document, 1188, is the gift of a land holding by William de Stafford.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

A seal representing the Annunciation with the Blessed Virgin Mary and Angel Gabriel with a cross between them was used in the 12th century.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The community either hung on or was refounded after the first suppression.

 
Admin. Notes
 

MAD 6/11/97
[V0818]

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1176
 
Date Finished
 
1536
 
Length
 
1401