St Catherine de O'Conyl
Community ID
 
1144
 
Alternate Names
 
Monasternecallowduffe / St. Catherine in O'Conyl / Negillagh / Monasternicalliagh / Ballanegillagh / Kaylaghe / Negaylagh
 
Diocese
 
Limerick
 
Region
 
Limerick
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1261 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1567 or earlier
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

the Macsees (Irish gentlemen) (needs verification)

 
Visitations
 

James, Earl of Desmond, patron of St. Catherine's, informed (previous to 1225) P. Martin V that prioress and nuns leading dissolute life, had wasted in lubricity and converted to unlawful uses the goods of the monastery, whose church was parochial, the priest being appointed or removed by the prioress and nuns; that the only remaining nun had married a layman by whom she had offspring so that she had been removed from the monastery by Cornelius, bishop of Limerick (1400-25), with the consent of the dean and chapter. Dec. 1432 Pope told Bp. Limerick to suppress if claims were true; no action appears to have been taken.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

James, Earl of Desmond (see Litigations)

 
Assets/Property
 

parishes of Drishane, Cullen, Nohavel, Kilmeen, Drumtariff in barony of Dunhallow, Co. Cork (diocese Kerry) / rectories of Novagrangia and Dunmoilyne, diocese Limerick

 
Income
 

1306 revenue not sufficient to support prioress and nuns

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

extant remains

 
Contributors
 
R. Eickwort
 
Date Started
 
1261
 
Date Finished
 
1567
 
Length
 
958