Schlüsselau
Community ID
 
2329
 
Alternate Names
 
Sluzzelawe (1290); Ager clavium
 
Town
 
Frensdorf (earlier Seppendorf)
 
Diocese
 
Bamberg
 
Medieval Location
 
Seppendorf
 
Modern Location
 
Frensdorf; governmental district of Oberfranken; administrative district of Bamberg.
 
Dedication
 
Blessed Virgin Mary and holy Trinity
 
Date Founded
 
1280 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1554
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Rule
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

This Cistercian convent was founded by Eberhard IV von Schluesselburg and his son, Konrad I. The exact date of the foundation is contended. In 1206 Eberhard II of Schlüsselberg supposedly granted the location of Seppendorf in the valley of Ebrach for the foundation of a female Cistercian house. The earliest document of the convent's archives, dated to August 1, 1290, refers to the convent of "Sluzzelowe" by Eberhard's nephew Bishop Arnold of Bamberg, who completed the foundation after the death of his uncle (Krausen, 84). The bishop granted the nuns the location on which they were settled as well as all the rights and privileges of their order. From the beginning the convent stood under the protection of the bishop of Bamberg. The spiritual supervision of the convent belgonged to the abbot of Langheim. There is no documentary mention of the convent's formal incorporation into the Cistercian order. King Ludwig confirmed the convent's freedom from tithes in 1337; King Karl IV permitted the convent to freely elect its protector in 1356. Karl IV also confirmed the convent's freedom from tithes, taxes, and tolls (Krausen, 85).

 
First Members
 

The first nuns probably came from Marburghausen.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

The parish of Pretzfeld was incorporated under the convent.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

The abbot of Langheim acted as the spiritual advisor over the convent.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

The bishops of Bamberg acted as patrons of the community.

 
Secular Political Affiliations
 

King Ludwig confirmed the convent's freedom from tithes in 1337; King Karl IV permitted the convent to freely elect its protector in 1356 (Krausen, 85). Karl IV also confirmed the convent's freedom from tithes, taxes, and tolls.

 
Social Characteristics
 

The convent's inhabitants were drawn from the local nobility. The family names of Hohenzollern, Truschseß of Eggsdorf, Stiebar of Buttenheim, and Truppach appear among the convent's inhabitants (Krausen, 84).

 
Assets/Property
 

The foundation of the convent was followed by donations from the founding family and surrounding nobles. In the fifteenth century the abbesses faced several disputes over the convent's properties.

 
Income
 

The convent held rights of patronage in Seussling, Schnaid, Aisch, Ebermannstadt and Zentbechhofen. The convent also incorporated the parish of Pretzfeld.

 
Other Economic Activities
 

The convent became a pilgrimage spot for the Holy Trinity, making the convent wealthy.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

The convent's symbol was a key leaning to the right.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The conventual church, built in the thirteenth century, was restored by Bishop Johann Philipp von Gebsattel in 1603. It displayed great similarity to the church of Marburghausen.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

The convent's archives are kept in the Hauptstaatsarchiv in München (Munich) as well as in the Staatsarchiv of Bamberg.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Die Klöster des Zisterzienserordens in Bayern
HUEMER, B. Verzeichnis der deutschen Cisterzienserinnenkloester. (StMBO 37, 1916).
HOTZ, J. Zisterzienserkloester in Oberfranken, 80-86.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The peasant uprising of 1525 forced Abbess Ursula von Truppach to flee with the nuns to thier farm in Jakobsberg near Bamberg. The cloister was heavily damaged and her successor, Brigitta von Stiebar tried to rebuild the church and cloister. Plundering and damage took its toll on the convent again in 1553 when Margrave Albrecht Alkibiades of Brandenburg engaged in a feud with the Bishop of Bamberg (Krausen, 85). The convent was finally dissolved between 1554-1557 by Bishop Weigand of Bamberg.

 
Admin. Notes
 

more research necessary Hist. Staetten, 630.

 
Contributors
 
June Mecham
 
Date Started
 
1280
 
Date Finished
 
1554
 
Length
 
3052