S. Thomas Martyr
Community ID
 
935
 
Town
 
London
 
Diocese
 
London
 
Region
 
Surrey
 
Medieval Location
 
The original antique site burned in 1213 and the hospital was rebuilt on a new site sometime between 1213 and 1215.
 
Modern Location
 
Southwark
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
Sometime after 1173 the hospital is dedicated to Thomas Martyr.
 
Date Founded
 
1170 (probable date)
 
Date Terminated
 
1540
 
Religious Order
 
The first order is assumed to be Augustinian because the hopital was a dependency of Southwork priory which was Augustinian and followed the Augustinian Rule.
 
Rule
 
Augustinian-at least by the 13th century.
 
Foundation Information
 

The Hospital is traditionally thought to be founded by S. Thomas. The land was originally on the grounds of the monastery of St. Mary Overy. It was founded for a prior or master with the help of brothers and sisters for the sick and the poor. It was originally a dependecy of a male monastery.

 
Dependency Of
 

Southwark Priory

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Peter des Roches, Bishop of Winchester granted land in a more suitable place for the hospital and the new establishment was built there and finished in 1215. Alice de Chalvedon, a widow, in about 1235 gave the hospital all her lands in Chaldon. Also in the 13th century Everard de Caterham granted lands and 2s. rent at Caterham to the hospital; John de Marlow, a clerk, granted mills and osier beds at Marlow; and Richard de Clare, who was the Earl of Hertford, and his son, Gilbert de Clare, granted lands worth £20 a year and rents in the manor of Marlow. In 1299, Isaac the Jew donated a house to the hospital and signed his name using Hebrew letters. In 1305, Robert de la Wyke gave 8 acres of land in Charlton by Greenwich and Ranulph, vicar of Greenwich, gave 4 acres of land in Combe and Greenwich. In the same year, John and William, sons of William le Flemyng, gave 1½ acres of land in Combe and Greenwich. Other benefactors include: Walter de Dynesle, William de Hameldon, Simon de Stowe,Walter de Huntingfield, Dulcia le Drapere, Gilbert de Clare-Earl of Gloucester and Hertford, Adam le Chaundeler and Joan his wife, and Ralph Nonley of Halsted.

 
Relative Wealth
 

In 1525, the hospital was valued at £309 1s. 11d.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

One of the last mentions of sisters living at the hospital seems to be in 1357. However, there were three lay sisters living at the hospital in 1535.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1170
 
Date Finished
 
1540
 
Length
 
740