S. Stefano
Community ID
 
789
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Stephani
 
Town
 
Ostuni
 
Diocese
 
Ostuni
 
Region
 
Apulia
 
Medieval Location
 
in the urban center
 
Corporate Status
 
monastery
 
Date Founded
 
1122 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1182 (See "incorporated by," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine (female, then later male)
 
Foundation Information
 

founded in 1122 when the bishop of Ostuni, Pietro, conceded the pre-existing church to the nuns.

 
Incorporated By
 

after 1182 the bishop Maroldo, wishing to return to the ancient observance, transferred the ownership of the buildings to the male monastery (Benedictine) of Saints Niccolo e Cataldo di Leccee.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1122; [2] 1182: De Leo, Le carte, doc. 7 "dum esset olim trium dumtaxat monialium locus, ex duritia temporis et fragilitatis muliebris sexus per plurimum de gradu sue opportunitatis descendit et ad una solam monialem locus ipse pervenit, que vitam suam satis ibi miserabiliter conducebat

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1122
 
Date Finished
 
1182
 
Length
 
747