S. Stefano
Community ID
 
2325
 
Town
 
Amelia
 
Date Founded
 
1256 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1773, December, by Bishop Tommaso Struzzieri (Bishop of Amelia from 1770 to 1775): In 1774, a priest of Sambucetole (Diocesis of Amelia) wrote: "Pagò la decima Francesco alis Focaraccio per il lavoreccio delle Carpinete spettante al Soppresso Monastero di
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

In 1256, Bishop Gualterio gives the benedictine rule to women cloistered in S. Stefano. In return, they are to be under his jurisdiction, and have to render to him 1 libra (pound?) of wax annually on the feast of S. Firmina, patron of Amelia.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Riccadonna [sic] left 5 solidi to the community. Caterina, daughtr of Nero magister, granddaughter of Ranarius of Amelia, and great-granddaughter of Stephan Marcuci, left 2 florentines to the monastery on January 19, 1369.

 
Early Documents
 

[date?] The nuns name the abbess. She has the right of being burid in the church. The nuns, along with the chapter, select the chaplain. The bishop keeps one-fourt of the gifts and half of the offerings.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1428, some of the nuns of S. Maria who had been living at Collicello were transferred to S. Stefano.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder, Paolo Pennazzi
 
Contributors Notes
 

Paolo Pennazzi on the correct termination date.

 
Date Started
 
1256
 
Date Finished
 
1870
 
Length
 
657