S. Sebastiano
Community ID
 
525
 
Alternate Names
 
called "de membricellis" or "de membretillis" or "de Veprecillis"
 
Town
 
Fabriano
 
Diocese
 
Camerino
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the Porta Cervara and the Porta Pisana, on top of a hill
 
Date Founded
 
1200-1299 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
Supressed in 1810; used as a hospital until 1874.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Marianna Gervasoni (+/- 1744) milanese. Biography available.

 
Population Counts
 

6 sisters in 1331; 33 in the 17th c.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

In 1408, by order of the bishop of Camerino, S. Sebastiano incorporated the monasteries of S. Agnese and S. Marco and moved to a site within the city in an old castle (which is today the Vallemani palace). In 1517, Bishop Pablo Giustinia arranged that the congregation of Camalldi should incorporate them "sub dictu et regimine" of the abbess of S. Biagio.

 
Social Characteristics
 

Members were generally drawn from the best families of the city.

 
Litigations
 

Late 15th/early 16th c.: sisters won a long battle with the Dominicans over the rightful posession of the skull of Bishop Castanzo da Fabriano (see "Relics," below)

 
Early Documents
 

1st doc: 1313

 
Art & Artifacts
 

One of the church's crucifixion paintings, by Giovanni Loreti, remains at the commune. The church had two altars, one of which was dedicated to S. Rocco.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

In 1447, the church was not finished and the city built a chapel shich was dedicated in hopes to repel the black death. In 1508, the church was finished. It continued to be used as the burial church for the cemetery until 1743. It was abandoned during the Napoeonic period.

 
Relics
 

The monastery was given the skull of Bishop Castanzo da Fabriano by Giovanni del Serchio, who had apparently taken it from his tomb in Ascoli. This relic was honored annually until the supression of the monastery, and is now housed in the cathedral.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Length
 
1767