S. Savino
Community ID
 
491
 
Diocese
 
Fermo
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Medieval Location
 
1/2 km east of the walls, in a site called "monte di marte."
 
Date Founded
 
1208
 
Date Terminated
 
1280 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine (originally a male monastery)
 
Foundation Information
 

S. Savino was originally a male monastery (foundation date uncertain, but the abbot S. Firmien was martyred there on March 3, 992). In 1208, Bishop Rinaldo found the monastery empty and placed a number of nuns there, who remained there until at least 1280. After the nuns left, it was taken over by Friars minor, who were there by at least 1345.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

Legend has it that the building crumbled in an earthquake that took place when S. Emilio arrived.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder; Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1208
 
Date Finished
 
1280
 
Length
 
835