S. Nicola Vergini
Community ID
 
750
 
Alternate Names
 
SS. Nicola e Lucia; S. Nicolai de virginibus
 
Town
 
Bitonto
 
Diocese
 
Bitonto
 
Region
 
Apulia
 
Medieval Location
 
near the cathedral
 
Corporate Status
 
monastery
 
Date Terminated
 
1503-1505 after an epidemic and financial difficulties
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Notable Heads
 

Lella / Rosa de Tauris was the last abbess. She was transferred to S. Scolastica when S. Nicola closed.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

In 15th century the nuns of S. Lucia joined this community after which it assumed the name of SS. Nicola e Lucia

 
Early Documents
 

a letter from the abbess Lella to vesc. Nicola asking for permission to sell a plot of land in order to alleviate the poverty of the monastery (12 December 1396)

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

today the church is used as a workshop while the rest of the antique monastery is abandoned

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Finished
 
1503
 
Length
 
637