S. Mauro
Community ID
 
536
 
Town
 
Fano
 
Diocese
 
Fano
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Medieval Location
 
(after 1271) outside the Porta Maggiore
 
Modern Location
 
since 1978, nuns have lived in modern buildings on a hilltop in Fano
 
Date Terminated
 
Still extant.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Abandoned in 1866, at which time the physical monastery was transfered to Palazzo Alavolini, then to a convent of S. Dominic in 1907. In 1978, they moved out of town.

 
Incorporated By
 

United with S. Arcangelo in 1270 (see S. Michel Arcangelo).

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1482, sisters petitioned for the power to elect their confessor and the chaplain, and to allow the bishop to enter the monastery only when accompanied by magistrates. Some years later, the church granted the supervision of the monastery to two members of the city council.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

In 1468, the organmaster Fiorentino gave the sisters a new organ.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Very wealthy.

 
Early Documents
 

1st doc.: 1300. Later docs: 1350, 1482.

 
Art & Artifacts
 

Church depicted in a painting by Ceccarini; painted Christ figure at one of the church's altars painted by Alessandro Algordi.

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

Church was completed in 1439.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Italy, Fano, Biblioteca Federiciana, Amiani 12, XVII.

Italy, Pesaro, Archivio di stato, Sezione di Fano, seniore. Fondo arch. storico communale, serie catasti, vol. 3.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Length
 
941