S. Mary without Bishopsgate
Community ID
 
1004
 
Town
 
London
 
Diocese
 
London
 
Region
 
Middlesex
 
Medieval Location
 
eastside of Bishopsgate Street
 
Modern Location
 
Bishopsgate
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
S. Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1197
 
Date Terminated
 
1538
 
Religious Order
 
Augustinian
 
Rule
 
Augustinian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded for a Prior, canons, brothers and sisters. The number of sisters increased later.

 
Visitations
 

There was a visitation in 1303, at that time there were twelve canons, five lay brothers, and seven sisters. The bishop found that the sisters did not have sufficient food, nor clothing. Furthermore, the canons of the house were forbidden to leave the precincts as they had been found frequenting the houses of two women in town, Alice la Faleyse and Matilda wife of Thomas.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Walter and Rose Brown built Bishopsgate hospital on land donated by Walter, son of and alderman named Eildred.

 
Relative Wealth
 

The convent was extremely poor, as evidenced by the bishops visitation in 1303. (See Visitations above) At the time of its dissolution, the sisters of S. Mary's received 40s. per annum.

 
Income
 

In 1318 the income was estimated at 300 marks. In 1535, the income was valued at up to £562.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Hospital & province; The hospital terminated in 1538 but the sick were allowed to stay until 1540. In 1534 there were as many as 180 beds.

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1197
 
Date Finished
 
1538
 
Length
 
339