S. Maria Vecchia
Community ID
 
696
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria delle Stuoie; Monasterium Vetus; Mariae Veteres
 
Town
 
Pavia
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Medieval Location
 
Near the Piazza del Duomo
 
Date Terminated
 
1577: Bishop Ippolito Rossi wanted to enlarge the episcopal palace, so he supressed the house and transferred the nuns, along with the body of S. Onora, to S. Maria delle Caccie.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Legend has it that the house was founded by the Catholic king Ariperto, and that it was the first monastery where virgins could retire from the world.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In 1192, Pope Clement III confirs the monastery and the churche of S. Maria di Melegnano, S. Massimo di Turagino, S. Zeno in Savonaria.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Quite Wealthy

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1192, the monastery posessed Gnevreto, Monte Acuto Bergamasco, Capeili Lanata, Bremide, Valle Frasinetto Guariente, Ceila Verzenetti,a mill on the Caron, and rights to fish in Tesino

 
Early Documents
 

864 (874?): Bishop Litifredo transported the body of S. Onorata from the church of S. Vicenzo and S. Epifano to the house of S. Maria Vecchia.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Pavia, Archivio, II 95 A-B, 398-90, MS mid-XIX, Capsoni, Gaetano, __Notizie di vescovi, chiesi e monasteri di Pavia e notizie varie al culto.__

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Finished
 
1577
 
Length
 
891