S. Maria in Petrochia
Community ID
 
426
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria in Petrocio / S. Maria in Petrochia
 
Town
 
Rome
 
Diocese
 
Rome
 
Region
 
LZ
 
Medieval Location
 
on southern slope of Campidoglio, near the church of S. Omobono
 
Modern Location
 
Rome
 
Dedication
 
Virgin Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1350-1400 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1400 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Maria de Papareschi & Egidia de Scotti, two Roman ladies, founded the community with the aid of the abbot of S. Gregorio al Celio

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Abbot of S. Gregorio al Celio (Camaldolese), donated the church of S. Maria to found the community, which was confirmed by Pope Gregory IX (see "early documents")

 
Early Documents
 

1303-1304: Papal bull of Benedict XI

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1350
 
Date Finished
 
1400
 
Length
 
373