S. Maria Maddalena
Community ID
 
534
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Daniele
 
Town
 
Fano
 
Diocese
 
Fano
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Dedication
 
Mary Magdelene and the Holy Trinity
 
Date Founded
 
1300 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1817
 
Religious Order
 
Nuns first lived as 3rd Order Franciscans, but later switched to the Lateran canonical order
 
Rule
 
Franciscan, then Augustinian (as Canonesses)
 
Incorporated Communities
 

13th c.: S. Orsola; 1513: S. Filipo and Sancta Trinita; 1521: united with the church of S. Dancello, by order of the pope.

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

16th c.: the nuns (now living in a new monastery near the church of S. Danielle) elected the parish priest and ran the parish by 1539.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

In 1598, the Jesuit Francesco Ado Brandini gave the nuns 3,000 "scubies" as alms

 
Relative Wealth
 

wealthy

 
Assets/Property
 

church of S. Egidio was a benefice.

 
Charitable/Work
 

On 19 April, 1618, the monastery undertook the obligation of saying a mass for every dead nun.

 
Early Documents
 

1st doc: 1300

 
Relics
 

With the incorporation of Sancta Trinita, the nuns gained 3 thorns of Christ's crown, which were venerated by the populations, esp. on Good Friday

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Italy, Fano, Biblioteca Federiciana, Amiani 12, XVII.

Italy, Fano, Biblioteca Federiciana, Bertozzi A, 14; also MS 263.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

Church belonging to S. Daniele (absorbed by S. M. Maddalena in 1521) was consecrated on 9 Sept. 1584 by Bishop Francesco Rusticuccisis

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1300
 
Date Finished
 
1817
 
Length
 
1154