S. Maria Maddalena
Community ID
 
638
 
Alternate Names
 
La Maddalena
 
Town
 
Monferrato
 
Diocese
 
Casale
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Modern Location
 
Caserina Carlo Alberto, near the convent of S. Antonio
 
Date Founded
 
1484
 
Date Terminated
 
1800-1899
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Foundation Information
 

Nuns came from Alessandria. The marquis Guglielmo VIII began a reform movement that was continued by his brother and successor Boniface V, who founded the monastery.

 
First Members
 

In 1494: Gerdania Bulliano di Casale; Anna and Antonia Bazzano di Casale; Serdina Rossi di Occimiano; Catterine of Alessandria

 
Population Counts
 

In 1560, while under the jurisdiction of the Friars Minor, the convent generally had about 60 sisters and conversae

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1495, Alexander VI

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Isabella Gonzaga provided for an annual donation to the monastery of 20 gold pieces (Sept. 30, 15--? [cut off])

 
Social Characteristics
 

nobility and bourgeoisie

 
Charitable/Work
 

Convent was noted for its sanctity

 
Architecture & Archaeology
 

The church was embellished in 1770, and marble altars were built. In 1772, they obtained permission from the Friars Minor to make their own sacristy.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

[1] Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 14, Materie Ecclesiastiche Monache, Casale (Monferrato).
[2] Casale, Archivio Communale (not catalogued in 1929)

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1484
 
Date Finished
 
1800
 
Length
 
1114