S. Maria Maddalena
Community ID
 
2749
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the city, on the via Ulpiana, but close to the Porta Romana, on a hill called Colle dei Montoni; close to the Via Morghetti; Monte Mascarano
 
Date Founded
 
1235
 
Date Terminated
 
1458 -- The community had only one member, so Pope Pius II united its goods with those of the bishopric, which itself had an income of only 300 fiorini annually.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Built by Filippo, son of Egidio Eventio

 
Notable Heads
 

In 1400, the abbess requests the bishop to name a replacement for her, since she is too old to discharge her duties.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Maria dentro la Città on August 23, 1408.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Archivio di S. Paolo, reg. Mriano, atti 1453-71, pp. 92-114;
Todi, Archivio Vescovile; B. Pianegiani, "Raccolta delle antiche chiese…", p. 104

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Documenti Tudertini, p. 440, no. xlix

 
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

The original buildings were abandoned in 1368 when war forced the nuns to move to safer quarters within the city walls. That same year, the Podestà, Cardinal Angelico, elected Bishop giovanni di Bartolino as the rector, and the town council gave 150 lire to repair the monastery.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1235
 
Date Finished
 
1458
 
Length
 
1025