S. Maria di Valdisasso
Community ID
 
521
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria di Frasassi; S. Maria Boccasaxorum
 
Town
 
Fabriano
 
Diocese
 
Camerino
 
Region
 
Marche
 
Medieval Location
 
outside the Porta del Piano
 
Date Founded
 
700 (circa -- traditional date. See "Foundation Information," below), but the first known document dates from the 11th c.
 
Date Terminated
 
1814 (circa): Supressed in the Napoleonic period, but assigned to the Capuchin Mothers (con. osservanza) in 1833, and is still extant.
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Tradition has it that the monastery existed in the 8th c., when it was called S. maria Boccasaxorum, and that it was founded by Alberto dei Sassi, last scion of the Sassi family. Documents, however, do not refer to him.

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Chiavallo and his wife Lagia, well-known as a poet, wished to be buried in the "grotta."

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

Briefs of Gregory IX (1227), Innocent IV (1253) and Clement (1265) place it under the protection of the Holy See and give indulgences.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

United with the monastery of S. Bartolomeo e S. Paolo in 1406.

 
Early Documents
 

1st doc.: 1029 -- established the patronage of S.Vittore delle Chiusae (renewed in 1318). 2nd doc.: 15 Sept, 1351 -- Sister Clara di Tinto di Bicco elects sister Mattiola di Angeluccia (currently at the monastery of S. Marco) to replace the dead abbess Giovanna, and Francesco, Abbot of S. Victor, arranges for Mattiola to be received into S. Maria. 3rd doc.: 21 Dec., 1339 -- 6 nuns elect sister Mattiola di Angeluccia.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
700
 
Date Finished
 
1814
 
Length
 
1699