S. Maria di Rosano
Community ID
 
256
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria a Rosano / Santissima Annunziata di Rosano (after 1583)
 
Town
 
Fiesole
 
Diocese
 
Fiesole
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
left bank of the Arno, commune of Rignano, near present Pontassieve
 
Modern Location
 
Rosano
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
Saint Mary
 
Date Founded
 
780 (circa)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Rosana and her husband Ursone. Oldest community in the medieval diocese.

 
Population Counts
 

12+ in 1232; 12+ in 1305; 24 in 1472

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1228, Gregory IX

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Gount Guidi (before 1000); Roland, abbot of S. Eugen (c. 1090)

 
Social Characteristics
 

professed nuns, drawn from patrician families of the town

 
Assets/Property
 

Very wealthy, large patrimony, vast properties. Dominated by the family of Count Guidi, from before 1100 to the late 13th century.

 
Charitable/Work
 

Ran the hospital di Rosano for pilgrims & travelers (esp. to the Roman Jubilee of 1300 ), as well as for the poor & sick

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1003: lease of land holdings; [2] 1017: donation

 
Art & Artifacts
 

Cross (12th - 13th century), an Annunciation, in the school of Agnolo Gaddi (14th c.), and an Annunciation by Giovanni Ponte (1430)

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

community buildings, church, tower, & crypt still extant

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
780
 
Length
 
651