S. Maria di Pontetetto
Community ID
 
276
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria de Pontetecto
 
Town
 
Lucca
 
Region
 
Tuscany
 
Medieval Location
 
Pontetetto (a village c. 14 miles from Lucca, on the road to Pisa)
 
Modern Location
 
Pontetetto
 
Corporate Status
 
Hospital
 
Dedication
 
Saint Mary
 
Date Founded
 
1095
 
Date Terminated
 
1404 (circa) -- see "Incorporated By," below
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Umbrina, first abbess ( rectrix , preposita ) & her husband Bonus, 1124

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

Pascal

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Giustina (S. Giustina ), c. 1404

 
Dependency Of
 

cura monalium held by the prior of the church of S. Pantaleon (Lucca) as of 1180. The abbess gained the privilege of replacing the cura monalium priest at will by papal exemption in 1186.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Adelina & her husband Hugo, 1095; Purpura & her husband Biancus, 1154; Pope Urban III granted lands c. 1186.

 
Assets/Property
 

a number of lands were donated, purchased, leased & sold for debts

 
Charitable/Work
 

hospital (received tithes as of the second half of the 13th century)

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1111: exchange of property; [2] 1141: litigation

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

epitaph of the founder was destroyed during the second half of the 19th century; monastery church currently serving as the parish church

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1095
 
Date Finished
 
1404
 
Length
 
772