S. Maria di Belmonte
Community ID
 
661
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Michele; S. Maria e S. Michele
 
Town
 
Ivrea
 
Diocese
 
Ivrea
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Medieval Location
 
Near the castle Valperga and Cuorgne, on the Pulcher, 37 km. north of Torino, in the circle Ivrea, on a hillside.
 
Date Founded
 
1016
 
Date Terminated
 
1326 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by king Arduino. According to tradition, it was founded as a male monastery, but was destroyed in the 13th c. It was later restored as a female house in 1326 by Guido da Valperga, bishop of Asti.

 
Notable Heads
 

Abbesses: Teresina de Saberio (1334); Ludovica (1475)

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Tommaso di Buzzano (see S. Tommaso) in 1326, when it was restored. Transferred to Cuorgni, since the Council of Trent determined that nuns could not live outside of cities.

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Benigno di Fruttuaria. Nuns were required to keep two monks from Fruttuaria who are there to insure that they adhere to the rule. However, nuns are allowed to elect their own abbess without the license of S. Benigno.

 
Relative Wealth
 

Rich

 
Assets/Property
 

They held a lot of land as emphyteusis.

 
Litigations
 

1464: the house took legal action against Archdeacon Paolo de Plantaporris, resulting in appeal to Rome over the ownership of a local church.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 13, Abbazia di: Benigno (Fruttuaria), S. Genigni e Tribuazio, I, no. 234 (1978).

 
Published Primary Sources
 

[1] Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 13, Abbazia di: Benigno, s. Benigni e Tiburzio, Ino n. 234 (1978).

[2] Torino, Archivio di Stato, Sala 14, Materie Ecclessiastiche monache, Ivrea, S. Maria e S. Michele (1136-1822).

[3] Cuorgne, Archivio Communale, Cartario di Sane Maria Belmonte.

 
Miscellaneous Information
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder; Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1016
 
Date Finished
 
1326
 
Length
 
1666