S. Maria di Banno
Community ID
 
714
 
Town
 
Tagliolo
 
Diocese
 
Acqui
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Date Founded
 
1158 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1511 (see "Incorporated Communities," below).
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Foundation Information
 

One account claims that the house was founded by the lady of Genova who saw a white chicken in the midst of a lot of white roosters. She became the first abbess and died 30 years later.

 
Notable Heads
 

Donna Mira, prioress, 1203; Donna Attestina, Abbess, 1265; Donna Argentina Spinulae, Abbess, 1316.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Maria bought the rights to S. Stefano di Sezze in 1469. Because of problems in Tagliolo with theft, S. Stefano became the main monastery, and the order moved to Sezze (see S. Maria di Banno), at which time the Tagliolo house was taken over by monks from Genova. In 1473, the name of the combined house is changed to S. Stefano di Sezze (Sezado). In 1486, S. Maria united with S. Brigida of Genova, and the nuns return to Sezze ten years later. Finally, in 1511, S. Maria was transferred to S. Elena di Genova.

 
Assets/Property
 

Records of a number of property sales in the late 13th c.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] March 28, 1203: Guglielmo and Alberto of Drodo, brothers of Rondinara, sell land to the monastery.

[2] March 28, 1232: confirmation of the sale of land to Donna Jacoba Coneffra

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1158
 
Date Finished
 
1511
 
Length
 
1502