S. Maria della Carita
Community ID
 
703
 
Town
 
Pogliola (or Poiola)
 
Diocese
 
Mondovi
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Medieval Location
 
Pogliola was in the county of Breadolo.
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1176
 
Date Terminated
 
1478 (see
 
Religious Order
 
Cistercian
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Anna di Morozzo, Agnese Pulisello and Giordana Brugaporcello.

 
First Members
 

The first prioress was named Anna.

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

In a bull of Oct. 31, 1243, Innocent IV placed the house under the spiritual protection of Staffarda.

 
Incorporated By
 

Mondovi, in 1478 (Cottineau give the date for the transfer as 1594, at the behest of Bishop Antonio).

 
Dependency Of
 

The abbey of Staffarda, after 1243.

 
Social Characteristics
 

Members were daughters of the nobility from southern Piedmont.

 
Assets/Property
 

Substantial properties in Morozzo, and around the monastery.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] March 25, 1180: cloister and cemetary were consecrated by the bishop of Asti, Guglielmo.

[2] 1186: taken under imperial protection of Barbarossa (repeated by Frederick II in 1238).

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

For more information on this house, see record#S. Maria della Carita for S. Maria della Carita in Mondovi.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder; Marie Kelleher
 
Date Started
 
1176
 
Date Finished
 
1478
 
Length
 
1201