S. Maria del Ponte
Community ID
 
2599
 
Town
 
Pietralunga
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Date Founded
 
1370 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1573 or later
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Congregation
 
Santuccie
 
Population Counts
 

2 in 1477; 12 in 1573

 
Incorporated Communities
 

In 1477, the abbess of S. Maria in Giulia united the communities of S. Filippo, S. Sepolcro, and S. Maria Maddalena with S. Maria del Ponte. The latter tried to reestablish itself as a separate community in 1452, but a bull of Pope Sixtus (1473) restored the union.

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Margherita (in 1573/74): 12 nuns were transferred, on the order of Bishop Marchesani.

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Maria in Giulia (after January 28, 1370). Nuns also reassert their relationship to S. Maria in Giulia in 1405 and 1466, the latter assertion in response to the attempt of Bishop Giovanni to elect a new abbess.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Giovanna, daughter of Niccola Gualterotti (1397)

 
Early Documents
 

[1] January 28, 1370: Nuns protest that they want to keep their rule and recognize the abbess of S. Maria in Giulia as their leader; [2] 1397: donation of Giovanna (see "Patrons," above)

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

1521: Miraculous visitation of the Madonna di Rimedii

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple
 
Date Started
 
1370
 
Date Finished
 
1573
 
Length
 
893