S. Maria del Paradiso
Community ID
 
2609
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria del Rosso
 
Town
 
Spello
 
Diocese
 
Foligno
 
Medieval Location
 
just outside of town
 
Date Founded
 
1296
 
Date Terminated
 
1464, March 17 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares (Augustinian until March 20, 1325: see "Miscellaneous Information," below)
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Simone di Leonardi (alias Rubeo de Spello) along with Mattiola di Francesco, Vagnola di Nardolo, Tommasuccia di Petriolo and Andrealdo di Meliorato, "de ordine Penitentium."

 
Population Counts
 

18 in 1344; 9 in 1446; 7 in 1453; 9 in 1454; 6 in 1458; 10 in 1461.

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Giacomo e S. Margherita (Benedictine) absorbed S. Maria on March 17, 1464, incorporating the buildings on June 17 of that same year.

 
Dependent Communities
 

S. Maria Vallegloria during the fourteenth century.

 
Assets/Property
 

The community cultivated barley, wheat, millet, beans, brussel sprouts, olives, grapes, and hemp, but usually had to borrow money at planting time. They had two oxen and two donkeys.

 
Other Economic Activities
 

Nuns worked with their hands to support the community, primarily weaving hemp and linen in the "beghinage." Only a modest dowry was required for entrance: 6 fiorini in 1402, and 10 in 1454.

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

[1] The nuns requested their order be changed to Poor Clares, and the change was authorized by Bartolomeo Bardi, Bishop of Spoleto, but refused by Bartolo, procurator of the community. Only at the nuns' second request was the change implemented, with the agreement that they pay an annual tax of one pound of wax. [2] In a document dated November 18, 1462, Benedetto Urbani, prior of S. Lorenzo of Spello, rebuked nuns of S. Maria who had been speaking with Franciscan brothers, and threatened them (in the name of the Bishop of Spello) with excommunication if they continued.

 
Conversi/ae and servants
 

Two or three regular servants, plus seasonal workers hired to gather fruit. In 1344, Abbess Neriutia Nardi had her own vicar and a maid.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple
 
Date Started
 
1296
 
Date Finished
 
1464
 
Length
 
1454