S. Maria del Feriale
Community ID
 
2305
 
Town
 
Città di Castello
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Medieval Location
 
Very near to the city, in "villa di Upo," at the camp [sic: "campo"?] Feriale, below the Palazzo di Caravelle, at the church of S. Trinita, near the Sovara bridge.
 
Date Founded
 
1256 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1448 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Basilio in 1443

 
Incorporated By
  
Assets/Property
 

On May 18, 1372, lands in Villa Fraccano and Villa Vasti were rented for an annual 5 1/2 stara of grain, at the request of marco Vanni Resconino di Vanne, syndic of the monastery.

 
Income
 

In 1411, the community was moved to the Citta di Castello proper, and in 1415, the commune ordered the annual payment of 10 libra as alms to aid in repairs to the monastery outside of the city.

 
Early Documents
 

[1] 1256: Suor Jacoma beat the abbes and Bishop Pietro held the trial. // [2] 1266: Abbess Cecilia and the nuns refused the visit of Bishop Niccolo, but in 1267 the abbess recognized obedience to the bishop by kissing his ring. // [3] 1315: Abbess Giuliana received a sum of money for Cecca who "entered into the service of Jesus Christ."

 
Manuscript Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1256
 
Date Finished
 
1448
 
Length
 
944