S. Maria de Tremogiis
Community ID
 
2651
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria di Tresmodiane; S. Maria di Monte Maggio; S. Maria di Monte Maggiore
 
Town
 
Monte Maggiore
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Medieval Location
 
In the middle of a forest, twelve miles from Città di Castello, between the parishes of S. Leo Bastor and S. Lorenzo di Bibiana
 
Date Founded
 
1205
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Foundation Information
 

Founded by Donna Beatrice, ministra of S. Bartolomeo, in conjunction with Abbot Gerardo di Tresmodiane.

 
Notable Heads
 

Early abbesses included Beatrice (1226), who had been a nun in S. Bartolomeo Camporeggiano, and Emilia/Imilia (1231), of the family of the Marquis Ripone di Colle.

 
Population Counts
 

4 in 1231

 
Incorporated By
 

Monastery of Cortona (date needs verification)

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Bartolomeo in Camporeggiano

 
Other Ecclesiastical Relations
 

In 1231, Abbess Imilia was elected in the presence of Bishop Tifernate Matteo, who was embroiled in a dispute with Abbot Ugoccione of Campo Reggio (dioc. Gubbio) over the jurisdiction over S. Maria. In 1237, it was decided that the abbess of S. Maria would be elected in the presence of the abbot and that the bishop would have the right of confirmation, visitation and correction. Later, S. Maria was to be united with the monastery of Cortona, once again transferring jurisdiction.

 
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1205
 
Length
 
1151