S. Maria de Pupula
Community ID
 
2304
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Chiara de Pupula
 
Town
 
Città di Castello
 
Diocese
 
Città di Castello
 
Medieval Location
 
Parish of S. Bartolomeo, near and outside of the Porta S. Aegidii
 
Date Founded
 
1223 or earlier
 
Religious Order
 
Poor Clares
 
Rule
 
S. Damiano
 
Foundation Information
 

May have been founded by Claire of Assisi in 1222.

 
Population Counts
 

32 in 1328

 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1258: Alexander IV exempted the sisters of any excommunication for not paying the decima.

 
Incorporated Communities
  
Incorporated By
 

Officially united with S. Maria in Trastevere on July 14, 1447, but the union did not actually take place until March 22, 1460.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Bishop and cannons of Citta di Castello donated some goods in 1223.

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1291, the community had a "piscinale" outside the Porta S. Maria, in the parish of S. Maria Maggiore.

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Secondary Sources
  
Miscellaneous Information
 

In 1328, Brother Vincenzo recommended that Abbess Deodata give Muciarella 15 lire annually.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1223
 
Length
 
573