S. Maria Colomata
Community ID
 
2690
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria di Colle Amato
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Outside the Porta S. Suzanna
 
Date Founded
 
1297
 
Date Terminated
 
1575
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine until 1437; Jesuits (male) lived there from 1454-98; Poor Clares from 1498; Dominicans from 1560-75
 
Miscellaneous Information
 

The Benedictine community was suppressed by Bishop Giovanni Andrea Baglioni for the scandalous conduct of the nuns, who he transferred to various other monasteries of the city. The community was occupied by Jesuits (male) from 1454-1498, but became a female community again in 1498, this time Poor Clares, who had Felicita da Spoleto as their abbess. The Franciscan order, headed by Vicar General Ludovioc della Torre had her deposed because she had accepted 50 Florentines for the monastery. From 1528-60 the monastery was visited by plague, and many died. From 1560-1575, it was a community of Dominican nuns.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1297
 
Date Finished
 
1575
 
Length
 
996