S. Maria in Campo Marzio
Community ID
 
410
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Maria e Saint Gregorio / SS Gregorio Nazianzeno e Quirino / SS M, Gregorio e Quirino in Campo Marzio / S. Maria in Campo Martis / SS Maria et Gregorii in Campo Martio / Monasterium Campi Martis
 
Town
 
Rome
 
Diocese
 
Rome
 
Region
 
LZ
 
Medieval Location
 
Piazza Campo Marzo, site of the antique male monastery of S. Gregory, called Immacolata Concezione (1564)
 
Modern Location
 
Rome
 
Dedication
 
Virgin Mary / Gregory Nazianzus / Quirinus
 
Date Founded
 
752 or earlier (traditionally)
 
Date Terminated
 
1873
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine as of 1275; possibly originally Basilian
 
Foundation Information
 

uncertain: traditionally founded by Basilian nuns from Constantinople who arrived at the male monastery of Saint Gregory duting the pontificate of Zacharius

 
Notable Members/Residents/Guests
 

Maria, called Marozia, was resident there in 937: founder S. Teodoro

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Orso, Abbot of S. Vito, donated the oratory of S. Teodoro (near S. Maria Maggiore) to the nuns (see "early documents"); Pope Celestine III confirmed the community's possession of the church of S. Maria sopra Minerva.

 
Early Documents
 

937: donation of property (oratory of S. Theodoro)

 
Published Primary Sources
  
Secondary Sources
  
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
752
 
Date Finished
 
1873
 
Length
 
693