S. Maria Antica, Veterana
Community ID
 
751
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Benedetto; S. Mariae antiquae, Veteranae
 
Town
 
Brindisi
 
Diocese
 
Brindisi
 
Region
 
Apulia
 
Medieval Location
 
in the historic center; present day S. Benedetto Street
 
Corporate Status
 
monastery
 
Date Founded
 
1097 or earlier
 
Date Terminated
 
1866
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Population Counts
 

about 100 (nuns, converse, and student boarders) in 16th century

 
Visitations
 

The community was granted an exemption by Pope Pasquale II. In 1301 the abbess "ad romanam ecclesiam nullo medio petinens" received the benediction from the pontifical delegate, "dal vesc. di Trani."

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Goffredo, conte di Conversano

 
Assets/Property
 

In 1097 the community recieved numerous gifts from Goffredo, conte di Conversano, among which were the castle of Tuturano and the churches of SS. Cosma e Damiano and S. Eustasio.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

restorations in 1948-1958 have returned the church and "chiostro" to their original aspect

 
Miscellaneous Information
 

in 1866 the nuns were expulsed and the monastery was confiscated and turned into military quarters

 
Contributors
 
WRL Project
 
Date Started
 
1097
 
Date Finished
 
1866
 
Length
 
641