S. Maria
Community ID
 
634
 
Town
 
Buonluogo (between Scalenghe and Castagnole)
 
Diocese
 
Torino
 
Region
 
Piedmont
 
Corporate Status
 
Priory
 
Date Founded
 
1200-1230 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1597 (June 13) -- see "Incorporated By," below.
 
Religious Order
 
Carthusian
 
Notable Heads
 

Prioresses: Alaisina "de Fulgure" (1237); Giacana (1274)

 
Incorporated By
 

S. Andrea (see S. Andrea); thereafter called S. Maria di Buonluogo and S. Andrea

 
Dependent Communities
 

Molare, Mombracco (before Nov. 1303, nuns of S. Maria paid 15 lire annually for the latter).

 
Dependency Of
 

Nov. 17, 1303, S. Maria was taken up by the monastery of Casanova (cist.), along with the monastery of Molare and the priory of Mombaccio. Nuns were to receive food, wine and some money but no new members. In 1304, Mombraccio was transferred to Staffarda.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

Folgore/Fulgure family

 
Assets/Property
 

Near the foundation of the monastery (early 13th c.), Valfredo Folgore of Piossasco's donation to the monastery is confirmed by his son Ottone of Piossasco (24 Sept. 1234). In a document issued Jan 23, 1304, it was also confirmed by Bertino and Giacobino, sons of Merietto, dead brother of Ottone.
Received the estate and goods of Extragia Coperia in Dec. of 1280. Also had land from the signori di Scalenghe, Bernezi di Vigone, Romagnani consignore or Virle and signori di Bricherasio.

 
Secondary Sources
 

Notizie e documenti d'alcune certose del Piemonte, pp. 75-92

__Miscellanea di Storia Italiana__ XXXVI (1901), 3 pages of charts.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1200
 
Date Finished
 
1597
 
Length
 
819