S. Margherita
Community ID
 
2673
 
Town
 
Perugia
 
Diocese
 
Perugia
 
Medieval Location
 
Porta Sole, just outside the city wall
 
Date Founded
 
1050-1100 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1810 (see "Incorporated By," below)
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1561: Pius IV placed S. Margherita under the care of the male community of S. Pietro; 1579, July 6: Gregory XIII confirmed the community's privileges: 1703: Clement XI restored the community to the jurisdiction of the bishop.

 
Incorporated Communities
 

S. Bernardo in 1399; S. Maria delle Vergini in 1428 (with the approval of Pope Martin V); S. Spirito in 1383 (with the approval of Pope Urban V); S. Nicolo in 1460 (S. Margherita also absorbed that community's debts.)

 
Incorporated By
 

When the community was dissoved in 1810, the nuns could either go to S. Maria Maddalena or the hospital of S. Maria della Misericordia.

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Pietro (male community) after 1561.

 
Patrons/Benefactors
 

1248: Benvenuta Cillino of Assisi left 4 solidi to the community.

 
Other Economic Activities
 

In 1315 received alms from the Brothers of Penitence.

 
Early Documents
 

1037: Conrad II mentioned it as a cell dependent on S. Apollinare; 1229: Gregory IX mentioned it as a dependency of S. Apollinare; 1296: Abbess and the nuns request a license from the bishop.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

The church was demolished in 1815 and the monastery became a psychiatric hospital.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1050
 
Date Finished
 
1810
 
Length
 
1291