S. Margherita
Community ID
 
2746
 
Alternate Names
 
S. Margherita delle Milizie; S. Margherita presso la Consolatione
 
Town
 
Todi
 
Diocese
 
Todi
 
Medieval Location
 
Originally outside the city, on the street to Monte Santo near a fortress; later within the city itself
 
Date Founded
 
1150 (circa)
 
Date Terminated
 
1409 (see
 
Religious Order
 
Benedictine
 
Priveleges & Papal Exemptions
 

1204 (Pope Paul II)

 
Incorporated Communities
 

Esser, Kajetan, 'Die Briefe Gregors IX an die Hl. Klara,' Franziskanishe Studien 35 Die Heilige Klara von Assisi zu ihrem 700 Todestage (1953) 274-295. in 1404: S. Margarita had been in danger outside of the city, and had united with Milizie. The joint community took the name "S. Margherita delle Milizie," and later absorbed S. Benigno in 1486. By 1489, the buildings outside the city had been completely abandoned.

 
Dependency Of
 

S. Paolo (Rome -- male community?) as of 1202. Abbo Esquinus sent statutes to its dependencies in Todi: S. Margherita, S. Caterina della Scala, S. Benigno and S. Giorgio.

 
Early Documents
 

1202, June 14: Innocent III confirmed S. Paolo's jurisdiction over the commuity and its belongings (see "Dependency of," above, and "Published Primary Sources," below); 1230, January 23: Abbess Illuminata got back some land.

 
State Of Medieval Structure
 

Part of the ancient structure, probably the church, is preserved.

 
Relics
 

Body of the Beata Giovanni di Ranuccie of Todi, called "elemosinario." His body was found on September 3, 1598, in the church of S. Margherita, under the altar in a marble container on which was inscribed his name and the date of his death (June 8, 1330). Nuns transported his body to the church of the Milizie.

 
Manuscript Sources
 

Archivio di S. Paolo, transcribed by Galletti, p. 21, transcription of Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana, Vat. Lat. 7932, parte II, c. 144;
Todi, Biblioteca Comunale Lorenzo Leoni, Manuscritti diversi, three items: Manuscritti diversi, VI, XII, 13; "Memoria di un censo imposto a favore delle monache milizie e della fabbrica da natalizio di Paolo Pietro" (February 13, 1677); "Memorie della chiesa e convento di S. Fortunato," IV, XII, 100/114;
Todi, Archivio Vescovile; MS B. Pianegiani, Raccolta delle antiche chiesi, Todi, 1877, 99 v.;
Bibliotheca Apostolica Vaticana, Vat. Lat., Reg. Fol. 89-90, n. 88

 
Published Primary Sources
 

Bullarium Casinense, vol. 1, p. 26, and vol. II, pp. 396 and 534;
Innocentii III Romani pontificis Opera omnia..., col. 93;
Documenti Tudertini, p. 423, no. iii, and pp. 433-436, nos. xxxvii-xxxviii

 
Admin. Notes
 

Link MS sources to archive info when available.

 
Contributors
 
Suzanne Wemple-Kinder
 
Date Started
 
1150
 
Date Finished
 
1409
 
Length
 
2067